Chronological Order the Wisconsin Lions Camp History

1956: Resolution passed to purchase the camp with 240 acres purchased for $18,000

– Opening session for Visually Impaired Children – 26 attended

1957: Formal dedication of the camp

– Dining Hall constructed

– Maples, Birches, Oakes, Traders, Explorers

– Frontiers, Lakewoods, and Pioneers cabins constructed

1959: Elms and Trailblazers cabins constructed

1960: Property Manager’s house and garage built

1961: Memorial Building constructed

1964: First year of Adult Visually Impaired Campers

– 40 acres purchased on the south side

– Director’s cabin built

1966: First Cognitively Disabled campers attend

– First totem pole erected

1967: Boy’s and Girl’s Bathhouses constructed

1969: First Deaf/HH campers attend

– 20 acres purchased on north side

– Duplex containing Handicrafts/health lodge constructed

– Hemlocks and Pines cabins built

1971: Willows, Hodags, Pathfinders, and Ravens Cabins are constructed

– 100 acres added to the north and west of main camp

1974: Tamaracks cabin was built

1976: Tripping program began

1977: Conference and Retreat Center made permanent part of camp program

1978: New Recreation/Storage building constructed

1979: Nature lore program added

– New $17,000 swimming pier

– Paddleboats donated to begin new activity

1980: Program began for Danish counselors

– Lumberjacks cabin used as 11th boys cabin

1981: Indian Hollow developed by Deaf/HH campers

– Leadership program developed

– Renovation of health lodge and handicrafts

– Additional boy’s bathhouse built

– Hodge House built

1983: Nature Center constructed

– Totem pole “NA-WAK-WA” constructed

1984: Dry storage building constructed

1986: Pinewood Lodge built

1987: Swimming area expanded

– Ropes Course program added

– New Trading Post constructed

– Dining Hall expanded

1988: Pinewood Lodge lower level completed

– New Main Entrance Gate built

1989: Phase 1 Lions Lake dredging

– Nature Center completion and expansion

1991: Memorial Building office renovation

1992: Memorial Building bathroom renovation

– Wood shed built

1993: Regional Eyeglass Recycling Center built

1994: 40 acres purchased on the south side

1997: 2 of 9 year – round duplex cabins completed

1998: 4 of 9 year – round duplex cabins completed

1999: Climbing Tower built

– Friends and Honor Memorial Garden completed

– 6 of 9 year – round duplex cabins completed

– Trading Post expanded

2000: New Rope Swing installed

– 7 of 9 year – round duplex cabins completed

– First children with diabetes attend

2001: 9 of 9 duplex cabins completed

– New totem pole installed

2002: Wisconsin Lions Foundation, Inc. offices move to Eyeglass Recycling Center

2003: Renovation of the Sturm Memorial Dining Hall

2004: Renovation of the High & low Challenge Course

2005: New low rope elements added

2006: Rope Swing replaced

– Camp and Foundation celebrate 50 year anniversary

– Music program added

– Health Lodge resolution passed, construction to begin on a new Health Lodge

2007: New Health Lodge completed and successfully used in camp programming

2008: New elements added to both the high and low ropes course on site

2009: Indian Hollow project completed – electricity and handrail added.

2010: Memorial roof project – flat roof removal and re-shingling

2011: Totem pole removed due to damage, roofs of duplexes #1, 5 replaced

2012: Roofs of duplexes 4, 3, 2, 1 replaced, all lounge floors replaced with VCT tile, replaced maintenance shed destroyed by windstorm

2013: Music program to Performing Arts

Coming in May 2014 new Totem Pole