2016 Summer Camp Schedule Changes
There have been a few changes made to our upcoming summer season. Please call our office at 715-677-4969 ext. 319 with any questions.
- The name of the camp for Children with Mild Cognitive Disabilities has been changed to Children with Intellectual Disabilities or Educational Autism to reflect the changing language in school districts across the state. If you are not sure if the potential camper for this program would be eligible, fill out an application and send it in. We will make phone calls and see if we would be a good fit for that child. We need an application in order to make a determination of eligibility.
Also consider the following eligibility guidelines below for the Children with Intellectual Disabilities or Educational Autism Camp to help clarify a camper’s eligibility:
- Ages 9-17 at camp time
- Educational placement in program, educational setting or receiving services for Intellectual Disabilities or Educational Autism.
- Functions either educationally or socially as having Intellectual Disabilities or Educational Autism.
- Can be managed socially and behaviorally in a group with one staff person and six campers.
- Fully toilet trained and independent in self-care skills.
- Resident of the state of Wisconsin or attending school in Wisconsin.
- You may also notice that there are two weeks for the Intellectual Disabilities or Educational Autism campers instead of three. We’ve noticed a large decrease in campers as we’ve seen many 16 and 17 year olds go through our program. We are not getting enough new campers in to replace those that leave. For this year, we are going to have 150 spots open each week for a total of 300 spots. We’ve also increased our recruiting efforts for all camps and hope that we’ll be able to fill the camps to capacity. We will watch the trends and adjust our camp weeks accordingly.
- The weeks have been rearranged to place our larger camps in the beginning of the summer when we have more staff. We’ve added a mid-summer break week in order to give those who work all summer some time off and allow for training of those who can only work the second half of the summer. Over the years we’ve been struggling to find staff to work a full summer. We hope with dividing the summer into two blocks we can take advantage of those who can only work a few weeks as well as give those who commit to a full summer extra time off to recharge for the rest of the summer. We are committed to providing quality staff for our campers and feel these extra steps will help us find those staff.
2016 Summer Camp Schedule
June 1-9 Staff Training
Staff will work either all summer, block one or block two. With the transition in staff, we are having a mid-summer transition week with no campers in camp.
June 12-17 Adults who are Blind or Visually Impaired
June 19-24 Children with Type I & II Diabetes
June 26-July 1 Children with Type I & II Diabetes
July 3-8 Children with Intellectual Disabilities or Educational Autism
July 10-15 Children with Intellectual Disabilities or Educational Autism
July 17-22 No campers at Camp; staff transition week
July 24-29 Children who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing
July 31-August 5 Children who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing
August 7-12 Children who are Blind or Visually Impaired
August 14-19 Adults 18-25 with Intellectual Disabilities or Educational Autism (by invitation only)
August 22-26 Adults who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing
We have two counselor-in-training sessions: July 3-15 and July 31-August 12. We are only accepting 5 CITs in each block.